Thursday, October 7, 2010

Four Days Post Walk

And I still have an issue or two. One I expected: water weight. When you traumatize your muscles like that, especially when you're taking in a lot of salt (even though you're sweating like crazy) when you're done your muscles can hold onto all the water they can. The day after the walk my weight was only up a pound and a half; today it's a total of about six. No worries; I know what it is and it'll come off over the next couple of weeks.

feetsOne I didn't expect: numbness and tingling in my toes. I had issues early on in training with loss of sensation and some tingling in my left big toe, but that abated about 95%. I still had a little, but not a lot. On Day 2 of the Walk I realized I could barely feel that toe, but looking back to the numbness earlier I worried less about that than the hot spot that was developing where I normally get blisters.

I slapped some Moleskin on the hot spot and continued on; I didn't get a blister (though I admit, I thought I had...it felt all mushy under the moleskin and I was afraid to peel it off for what I might find under there) but I do have really sore balls of my feet. No surprise there.

On Day 3, halfway through the day I realized there was some tingling in my toes, but damn, we were going up and down the streets of San Francisco; there are some serious hills involved there (ok, they feel serious, but I think it's mostly that it's repetitive...up and down and up and down...) As we approached the last couple of miles my feet just hurt all over. Major hurt. But not unexpected.

It wasn't until I was in the car on the way home that I realized there might be a little more than just sore feet going on in my shoes; I presumed some swelling and didn't want to take my shoes off in the car for fear I wouldn't be able to get them back on. Since we were planning on stopping for food on the way home, I decided to keep them on.

We did stop, but when I tried to get out of the car I was so stiff--thanks to SF traffic it took us nearly three hours to get home--and opted to just pick up a pizza and take it home. When I was able to take off my shoes there was immediately relief--the feets were a little swollen--but the numbness and tingling was very apparent.

Monday morning, still apparent.

Same with Tuesday and Wednesday.

Today, I'm not sure if it's just a little bit better or of I'm used to it, but there's still quite a bit of tingling and sensation loss. No, I don't think it's permanent; I think the pounding on pavement and hills squished the nerves and they'll recover, but I'd really like to get back to working out before I turn into a giant blob, and if I start walking a lot now, who knows what I'll do to those nerves?

I'm giving it until next week; if they're still all tingly one week post-walk, I'll see my doc.

Still, all things considered--no FMS flare-up, no arthritic payback--my crappy body held up quite well.


Karen Nichols said...

You know, it sounds like hypocalcemia (from which I'm suffering). Take some TUMS or Caltrate and see if you get some relief. It makes sense that your calcium might be low from electrolyte loss. If the tingling/numbness continues, go to the dr. because if it is hypocalcemia, your next symptom could be Cardiac Arrhythmia.

Thumper said...

Ahhhh...I will double up on the calicum. Surely can't hurt, and I don't think I drank enough gatorade over the weekend...